Arsenal

Arsenal News

Thursday, March 15, 2007

WALCOTT: CAREER HAS BEEN A 'DREAM'

Theo Walcott turns 18 on Friday and admits his rapid rise to prominence with Arsenal has been "a dream".
It is now just over a year ago that the young forward found himself thrust into the media spotlight following his move to Arsenal from Southampton.
His controversial inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England World Cup squad meant little chance to develop outside the intense glare of public interest.
Having now chalked up more than 30 first-team appearances for the Gunners, slowly but surely Walcott is finding his feet at the highest level.
A troublesome shoulder injury has, by his own admission, hampered the player's progress and is set to be corrected via surgery sooner rather than later.
A potent weapon now for the England Under-21s, as his brilliant double in the European Championship play-off against Germany showcased, Walcott finally got off the mark for Arsenal with a goal in the Carling Cup final at the Millennium Stadium.
Despite all of the continued hype, and indeed sometimes less-than-constructive criticism, which seems to follow his every move, the man himself remains remarkably level-headed.
"My life has changed rapidly of course, what with the World Cup and coming to Arsenal, but I have not let it get on top of me. I am still the normal person I was at Southampton," Walcott insisted.
"But this season has been unbelievable really - seeing how the players prepare and look after themselves and to be playing a part for the best club in the world as a 17 year-old - it is all a dream for me.
"I am quite pleased that I have been able to come off the bench and get a few assists.
"I am part of a new era and playing at a fantastic new stadium, the next few years should be great."
Walcott reflected: "I think generally the year has gone well, it has certainly gone quickly so far.
"But I have got a long way to go yet."
Wenger chose to keep faith with his youth policy in the Carling Cup this season, which gave other young players such as impressive Brazilian midfielder Denilson the chance to shine.

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home