Arsenal

Arsenal News

Monday, July 30, 2007

WENGER DAMPENS KROENKE THEORY

Arsene Wenger maintains his close friendship with David Dein plays no part in the role he holds as manager at Arsenal.

The Gunners boss found himself fielding questions about off-the-field matters following this afternoon's conclusion of the Emirates Cup, which finished with a 2-1 win over Inter Milan for the hosts to claim the trophy.

Wenger was photographed with former Arsenal vice-chairman Dein - who left the club last season following "irreconcilable differences" with the board - after the pair had dinner together in London last week"

The Frenchman, however, insisted it was "simply" a meeting between two friends and that topics exchanged certainly did not include a potential buy-out of the club by American shareholder Stan Kroenke.

"The story is as simple as ever," Wenger insisted.

"I've been friends with David Dein before I was at Arsenal. I was friends with him during his stay here and I'm still friends since he's departed. It's as simple as that.

"I said the other day, I know I have a responsibility here and I want to stand up for it.

"My friendship with David is something different.

"For a long period it was mixed with the life of the club, but it is no longer mixed with that."

Wenger maintained: "We didn't discuss the future at Arsenal.

"He still asked me how it was going at Arsenal, how is the team going? I have no influence in the shareholders.

"I've never been a shareholder. I'm an employee who is responsible for the technical side of the club."

Wenger used this weekend's tournament - which also included Paris Saint Germain and Valencia - to experiment with team selection.

This afternoon's game with the Serie A champions looked to be heading for a draw before Robin van Persie fired in a brilliant winner, dragging the ball back inside his marker with some dazzling footwork.

Labels:

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home