Arsenal

Arsenal News

Sunday, April 8, 2007

LEHMANN TALKS PLANNED SOON

Jens Lehmann knows his future at Arsenal will soon be sorted out.

The Germany international goalkeeper turns 38 during November and is in the final months of his contract with the Gunners.

The Barclays Premiership club are understood to be standing firm on their policy of offering only 12-month extensions to senior players but Lehmann wants the security of a two-year deal.

There has been interest from teams overseas for Lehmann, who kept a record number of clean sheets en route to the Champions League final last season.

Lehmann would, though, be happy to continue his stay at Arsenal should an amicable agreement be reached in negotiations with manager Arsene Wenger and club officials.

"We will talk soon, in the next week or two," said Lehmann.

"I am not frustrated, it is business.

"I have always said I would like to play at Arsenal because I think I am certainly aware the team has potential.

"I can decide to be a part [next season]. It is my decision and I have to make the decision.

"I am on a one-year contract right now, why should I really be disappointed about another year?

"It is not about one year. If I should go somewhere else, then I would go for two years, but here it is only one year.

"It is always my decision. I can stay, of course I can stay, but I have to talk before. It is a tough decision I have to make."

Lehmann watched opposite number Robert Green produce the "game of his life" as West Ham secured a 1-0 win at Emirates Stadium yesterday - a first defeat for the Gunners at their new 60,000-seater home.

Arsenal head to Newcastle tomorrow where they will be looking to make the most of any chances which come their way - unlike against the Hammers where chance after chance went begging.

Lehmann said: "You have to cope with it and can not feel sorry for yourself.

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home