Arsenal

Arsenal News

Sunday, April 29, 2007

WENGER EAGER TO DEVELOP YOUNG GUNNERS

Arsene Wenger remains fully focused on turning Arsenal's emerging squad into title contenders again next season.

The shock departure of vice-chairman David Dein, Wenger's closest ally on the board, led to speculation the Frenchman could be set to follow him out of Emirates Stadium.

However, Wenger, 57, fully intends to honour the remainder of his contract, which runs until the summer of 2008, with the club keen to extend that deal sooner rather than later.

The Arsenal manager, however, continues to "live on short-term", and is determined to get his squad back to the levels reached a few years ago when they were the dominant force of the English game.

Wenger said: "I want to develop this team because I feel there is a lot in there.

"I need one more year, and after one more year I can assess how far I can push this team.

"We have agreed to speak about it [future] the end of the season. At the moment I do not even think about that. I am too much in the competition.

"I have over one year to go and I want to finish work this season.

"I live on short-term. I have done it before."

Wenger added: "I feel it is important that I focus on how far I can go with this team and continue to respect the values I have tried to develop since I arrived here.

"And I will continue to develop next year."

Arsenal head into Sunday's game with relegation-battlers Fulham looking to cement another top-four finish in the Barclays Premiership.

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home