Arsenal

Arsenal News

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

VAN PERSIE BACKS GUNNERS FOR GLORY

Robin van Persie had plenty of time to reflect on life with Arsenal during his enforced injury lay-off - and the Dutch forward is as determined as ever to guide the Gunners back to the glory trail again next season.

Arsenal had to make do without their top-scorer since the end of January when he suffered a fractured metatarsal as he netted against Manchester United at Emirates Stadium.

Van Persie, whose tally of 13 has yet to be beaten by any of his team-mates, has undergone an extensive course of rehabilitation, and had to take a complete break from the hectic routine of a professional footballer.

After spending some time in his native Holland, the 23-year-old has recently stepped up his fitness work and will return to pre-season training a couple of weeks earlier than the rest of the squad.

Van Persie, who could have been rushed back into action if needed by Arsene Wenger, feels such a period away from the game will see him return refreshed for the battles ahead next season.

"For the first two weeks all I could do was sit at home. That moment was very hard for me," the young Dutch forward recalled.

"I was watching lots of football, but there I was, not even able to go to my own kitchen to get a drink. Everything had to be done for me.

"I had a lot of time to think about things such as how I see Arsenal, how Arsenal sees me, how I can improve. Those things you can really think about, but when you live day to day there is no time to stop and think about it.

"You are too tired and also in football it is always 'the next game, the next game, this game has gone, look at the next one' - and suddenly I did not have that for three or four months. Trust me that was very interesting."

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home