Arsenal

Arsenal News

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

WENGER WANTS GUNNERS FIT FOR PURPOSE

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger reckons getting all his key men fit will feel like the "biggest transfer" he can pull off this summer.

The Gunners ended a disappointing campaign with a goalless draw at Portsmouth on Sunday to finish fourth in the Barclays Premiership for the second year running.

Wenger accepts that is not good enough, and is determined to lift his emerging squad back into title contention next season.

While some may feel the team needs a significant injection of proven talent to get close to Manchester United and Chelsea, the Arsenal manager has every confidence in the players already at the club.

Wenger believes the Gunners will be a different proposition next season should the likes of inspirational captain Thierry Henry, leading scorer Robin van Persie and England international Theo Walcott all come into August in top condition.

"If you look at the number of players who were not at Portsmouth and the quality of our performance, we have the right to be optimistic," said Wenger.

"I am looking [for new players], but I am also at the moment happy with the players I have and am also focused on developing the team I have. I feel the team is growing well."

Wenger declared: "The biggest transfer I can make is to try to get everybody fit by the start of next season.

"If I manage that I have done 80% of the job and I will be pleased, the other 20% is optional - whether I buy or not.

"If I can just manage to do that 80%, to get everybody in perfect shape for the start of the season, then I have done a good job."

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home